The simple truth is, using your phone while driving is dangerous. However, this doesn’t stop many motorists from engaging in the act. In fact, 27 percent of adults admit to sending or receiving texts while driving, and 48 percent of young drivers have seen their parents talking on the phone or texting while behind the wheel. Those who text while driving are 23 times more likely to get into crashes, and texting while driving is responsible for nearly 25 percent of all accidents.
Laws About Cell Phone Use While Driving in Texas
Although Texas doesn’t have a state-wide ban regarding cell phone use while driving, some local areas prohibit or limit cell phone use when behind the wheel. State-wide laws include the following:
- Drivers under the age of 18 are prohibited from using any type of electronic device behind the wheel.
- Drivers over the age of 18 with learner’s permits are prohibited from using handheld cell phones during the first six months of driving.
- All drivers are prohibited from texting and using handheld communication devices when in school zones.
- School bus operators are prohibited from using cell phones when driving if children are present.
- Austin was the first city in Texas to enact a city-wide ban on texting while driving. Forty other towns have a ban, including Corpus Christy, El Paso, and San Antonio.
Drivers who violate these ordinances and laws can receive fines ranging from $200 to $500.
Were You Injured by a Distracted Driver?
Thousands of people die in distracted driving accidents every year and even more are injured. If you suffered from a spinal cord fracture, traumatic brain injury, or broken bones because of your crash, you may be entitled to receive financial compensation that can help pay for medical bills and time lost from work because of the accident. The attorneys of Wayne Wright have helped many accident victims in Austin receive the help they need and may be able to do the same for you. Make an appointment to speak with a legal professional about your case by calling 800.237.3334.