Solicitors Prey on Accident Victims
Don’t be tricked by the illegal tactics of crooked lawyers and clinics who bang on your door or call you on the phone to get your case!
Lawyers have a duty to keep your best interests in mind. While there are several quality attorneys, unfortunately there are many attorneys who violate their duties to you by illegally soliciting the cases they get. Attorneys who do this should have their license taken away. But crooked lawyers get away with it by working with people known as “case runners.” Case runners are people who harass injured people by calling them on the phone repeatedly, knocking on their doors, promising them items of value, such as food, beer, gift cards, free rental cars, etc. Oftentimes these case runners are affiliated with clinics or chiropractors who promise to treat you. Many times will OUTRIGHT LIE to you and tell you something like they “are from the insurance company” or that they are from a local “medical society” or the “insurance association.” DON’T BELIEVE IT! Once they get an injured person in their doors, they have a crooked lawyer standing by to sign them to a legal contract. Most often the injured person is tricked into signing such a contract believing it is needed medical paperwork.
Solicitor Fraud is Against The Law!
As an example, in Texas it is a 3rd degree Felony if a lawyer solicits employment, either in person or by telephone, for himself or for another. See, §38.12 of the Texas Penal Code.
These crooked lawyers are bad for the public. In order to hide their illegal activity, oftentimes they will quickly settle an injured person’s case for FAR LESS than it is worth.
Don’t Jeopardize Your Case by Becoming Involved in the Illegal Scam!
You deserve to have an attorney who has your best interests in mind…choose wisely and ask yourself these questions:
- Did my attorney have someone call me or come by my house to solicit my business? ILLEGAL! This type of breaking the rules is only done by cheats and crooked lawyers. Tell them to go away.
- Did I choose my attorney on my own without being harassed? If not, you may have been ILLEGALLY SOLICITED! Ethical attorneys follow all the rules of the State Bar and will wait for you to come to them, not the other way around.
- Did my attorney promise to give me anything for “free” to get my case? ILLEGAL! This would land an ethical person in jail. Don’t fall for it!
- Was I asked to sign papers that weren’t fully explained to me? UNETHICAL! Ethical people would never want to trick you into signing something you didn’t understand. Make sure you ask the tough questions.
- Was I offered a copy of all papers I signed? If not, this is UNETHICAL! Ethical attorneys and clinics will always be happy to provide these to you immediately and free of charge.
- Was I told a “tall tale” by a solicitor that my current attorney is a bad person, not a real attorney, is in jail, charges ridiculously high fees, etc.? ILLEGAL and UNETHICAL. No reputable person would say this to you.
- Have you been told that you have an attorney but you haven’t actually met him or her? UNETHICAL. Attorneys who hide their identity from you or are afraid to meet with you generally have something to hide. You are entitled to meet face to face with your attorney to discuss your case.
Related content: Read the Solicitor Fraud’s Frequently Asked Questions