The intersection of Highway 77 and County Road 44 in Corpus Christi sees its fair share of truck accidents. Truckers often fail to yield to the stop sign when they are turning right on Shamsie, and cause t- bone crashes that are often quite dangerous. The high risk also is due to truck drivers attempting to make failed U-turns.
Unfortunately, this dangerous crossroad isn’t that unique: intersections are hot spots for truck accidents to occur. In fact, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration states that nearly four out of every ten accidents take place at them.
Why Intersection Accidents Are So Common
It’s a frightening thought, but if you’re going through an intersection, there’s a good chance you could become the victim of a truck accident, and it will likely occur because:
- A vehicle failed to stop at a stop sign or light, or attempted to make a dangerous or illegal maneuver, such as a U-turn
- The driver failed to notice a stopped vehicle or crossing pedestrian at the intersection
- The driver was distracted
- The driver made incorrect assumptions about the actions of the other vehicles
- The driver attempted to turn with an obstructed view
- The driver misjudged the other drivers’ speed and attempted to pass through the intersection
Preventing Intersection Truck Accidents
Although you can never fully prevent an accident from occurring, you can take steps to decrease the likelihood by:
- Looking all ways before you proceed through an intersection
- Never assume a vehicle will stop or turn
- Avoid speeding
- Giving your full attention to the road
If You Are Injured in an Accident
The most important thing to remember when you’re the victim of an accident is to not trust the insurance company. The insurance company wants to save itself money and pay you as little as possible.
An attorney from the Wayne Wright LLP, however, will work hard to attempt to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today and find out what we can do for you.