As you travel through a parking lot searching for a spot to park, you may suddenly find yourself involved in an accident with another vehicle. Parking lot accidents occur frequently, and when they do, it is important to act quickly. The actions that are taken after a crash are important because they can impact your ability to file a claim for compensation.
Essential Steps to Take After a Parking Lot Accident
What should you do after a parking lot accident? The following are 11 steps to consider taking:
- If you are injured, seek medical attention immediately.
- Pull your vehicle out of the way of traffic to a safe location.
- Exchange information the other driver. You will want to see the other driver’s license and insurance information. It is important to write down the other driver’s name, address, contact information, and insurance information.
- Obtain contact information from any witnesses.
- Consult with the business owner or owner of the parking lot to see whether there is video surveillance of the lot. This may provide you with video evidence of the accident.
- If possible, take pictures of both vehicles involved in the accident.
- Write down the date, time, weather conditions, and parking lot conditions that existed at the time of the accident.
- Consider drawing a diagram of the accident while the crash is still fresh in your mind.
- Contact the police to report the accident. In the alternative, you can go to the nearest police station and file a walk-in report.
- Contact your preferred collision repair shop if your vehicle needs to be towed.
- Contact an experienced attorney. Every action that you take after a car accident can potentially impact your ability to obtain compensation for your losses. It is therefore crucial that you seek guidance from a knowledgeable legal professional.
Knowing what to do after a crash is clearly important. Why not share this helpful information with your friends and loved ones? We encourage you to post a link to this article on Facebook or Twitter today.