Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: 210-888-8888
Wayne Wright LLP
Call: 210-888-8888
Toll Free: 800-237-3334

How much compensation am I entitled to in my auto accident or other personal injury case?

You could incur large medical bills for your expensive medical treatments and be off work for months or longer recovering if a negligent driver injures you in a car accident or you are injured in another type of personal injury accident. How to pay these medical bills and your other monthly bills and living expenses can be a huge worry. Fortunately, you may be able to obtain compensation for your losses from the driver who caused your crash.

What Types of Compensation Are You Entitled to in an Auto Collision or Other Personal Injury Claim?

In order to understand how much your claim is worth, you need to understand the types of compensation you could be entitled to. You cannot know if the settlement offer from the negligent driver’s insurance company is fair without understanding what exactly you should receive. You may be able to recover these types of damages:

  • Medical bills. You are entitled to be compensated for the cost of your diagnostic tests, surgery, hospitalization, medications, doctor’s appointments, and physical therapy. The expenses you should ask for could include much more, such as mental health counseling, vocational training, assistive tools, and transportation and lodging expenses if you must travel for treatment. If you will be receiving medical treatments in the future, be certain to calculate them into your settlement request as well.
  • Lost wages. This also includes more than the lost wages that you may realize you should receive. You should be reimbursed for your lost vacation and sick time, bonuses, commissions, promotions, and your future earning capacity if you are too disabled to return to your former job.
  • Pain and suffering. This element of damages is for the physical pain and emotional trauma you suffered as a result of your accident. While there is no fixed way to calculate the amount you are owed, an experienced car accident attorney can help you determine what to request in settlement.
  • Vehicle damage. The negligent driver is responsible for paying you the cost to repair your vehicle, towing and storage costs, replacement costs for other damaged property, and car rental fees.
  • Loss of companionship. In a wrongful death action, the dependents of a person who died in a car crash could be entitled to damages to compensate them for the loss of financial support and companionship of the deceased victim.
  • Punitive damages. If the negligent driver’s actions were especially irresponsible, you may be entitled to punitive damages. However, punitive damages are rarely awarded.

Was a loved one or you injured in a car accident caused by a negligent driver? Call us at 800-237-3334 to schedule a free case evaluation to learn how much compensation you could receive and to have your other questions answered.