Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: 210-888-8888
Wayne Wright LLP
Call: 210-888-8888
Toll Free: 800-237-3334

What sort of legal action can I take when I’m hit by a drunk driver?

Getting into a car accident is already bad, but when it’s caused by a drunk driver, it seems to become a thousand times worse. Which is why when you were coming home from work one night and a drunk driver struck you at the intersection of Riverside and Pleasant Valley, you were, shall we say, a bit perturbed.

It’s one thing when an accident is caused by a simple mistake, because everyone makes mistakes—be honest: even you. But when the crash is caused because someone decided to get behind the wheel after a night of drinking, it’s downright infuriating.

You Can Take Legal Action

The kind of action you want to take against this drunk driver may be more in the MMA-style realm, but that will only land you jail. Instead, you can take lawful, legal action against the negligent driver and hit him where it really hurts: his wallet.

  • Criminal vs. civil case. Those injured in accidents caused by drunk drivers have the right to file suit. Although the driver committed a criminal act, the compensation you seek would come as the result of a civil case, not criminal. Even if the prosecutor has filed criminal charges, you won’t receive any money from that suit, just the civil action. The state prosecutor won’t be able to help you with that; you will need to hire an injury lawyer to win you a fair settlement.
  • Types of compensation. As the victim, you may be entitled to receive compensation that covers both “special damages” and “general damages.” “Special damages” is intended to reimburse you for medical bills, time away from work, and similar fees. “General damages” covers the pain and suffering portion of the crash.

Contact Us Today for Help

You’re right to be angry—you’re injured and inconvenienced because someone decided to drink and drive. You can take that anger and turn it into results by contacting the Wayne Wright LLP.

We will help you seek the compensation you deserve, and do everything we can to make this process easier for you, including visiting you no matter where you are. Contact us today to learn how to get started.